Pages

.

Hashbrown Casserole


Before I started this blog, I didn't cook much.  One thing I did make was a hashbrown casserole with ham.  My casserole contained a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup, large amounts of sour cream, butter and a ton of cheese.  Very tasty but incredibly high calorie and not healthy at all.

I was pleased when I saw this hashbrown casserole recipe. It reminded me much of my former casserole, but a much healthier version.  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't exactly call this health food but in comparison, it is much better. 

A healthier, homemade version with out sacrificing taste at all. It was delicious.


The original recipe did not call for ham. I had made a ham for the family a couple of days earlier and this was the perfect way to use the leftovers and make it more of a meal.  The whole family loved it.




Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
Adapted from Under the Big Oak Tree

26 oz. bag of hashbrowns
2 cups colby jack cheese, shredded (8 oz)
10 oz. ham, cut into chunks
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 cup milk
1/2 cup beef stock or broth
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 425.  In a large bowl, combine hashbrowns, cheese and onions.  Combine, in a separate bowl, the milk, broth, 1/2 of the butter, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix well, then pour over the hashbrown/cheese mixture and mix well.  Heat the remaining butter in a pan.  Cook potato mixture, stirring occasionally, until heated through and all the cheese is melted, about 7 - 8 minutes.  Transfer to a baking dish and put in the oven to bake for 45 minutes to an hour. 

One Year Ago...











Sicilian Meatloaf

This is linked with:
Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helens Country Cottage
Recipe and Project Linky at It's a Keeper
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Gallery of Favorites at The 21st Century Housewife
Friday Favorites at Simply Sweet Home
I'm Lovin' It at Tidy Mom
Foodie Friday at Not Your Ordinary Recipes







No comments:

Post a Comment