Pages

.

Scouts' Barbecue

Today our family was rostered on to work on a Scouts' fundraising barbecue at Bunnings.  This would have been fine except that we seem to have picked the coldest, windiest day of the year. 

It was s-o-o-o cold.  I was wearing thick socks and boots but still my toes were numb.  I worked the morning shift with my 11 year old son and a lovely, grandfatherly man named Ian, and my husband and daughter worked in the afternoon.

After I arrived home I ran a hot bath to warm my frozen toes, then I collapsed in bed with Gone With the Wind to read.  Except that I fell asleep for over an hour.

Later I stayed warm by cooking.  I made a sultana cake for the lunchboxes, several jars of Gran's fruit mince (even though Christmas is months away), a roast leg of lamb for dinner, and a lemon meringue pie for dessert.

I was warm and happy and my family was happy too when they saw what I had made.
warming numb hands on the barbecue

No comments:

Post a Comment