Pages

.

How to Get Rid of Aphids

Wandering around my garden the other day I noticed that the new, late winter buds on my rose bushes are covered in aphids.  It's time to do something about them before they get any worse.

Like most gardeners I detest aphids.  These squishy, sap-sucking little bugs attack plants such as roses, hibiscus, peach and cherry trees and are known to spread plant diseases.  They breed in enormous numbers as soon as the weather begins to warm up.

There are a number of different ways to get rid of aphids:
  • Let natural predators such as ladybirds, hoverflies, lace wings and small birds, do the work for you
  • Use commercial remedies such as Neem oil or Pyrethrum spray
  •  Make your own spray such as garlic spray or white oil
  • Squash them or hose them off
My choice has been to make up a batch of white oil.  Tomorrow I'll start spraying.  Wish me luck! 

(Image is courtesy of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphid)






No comments:

Post a Comment