Pages

.

Mr Marco and the Oranges


I think I am really going to like my Italian neighbours.

Just as I popped my head over the back fence last week and introduced myself to Violet, a couple of days ago her husband Mr Marco poked his head over and introduced himself to me.

He told me he likes what I am doing with the garden. This is high praise from a man who has been growing backyard fruit and vegetables for over 56 years.

His speech was hard to understand - the combination of a strong accent and some slurring (a stroke maybe?), but like his wife he said my garden was once full of fruit trees that were cut down when the house was renovated.

He said a friend gives him a very good fertiliser for lemons and he will give me some next time he has any.

This morning he put a metal hook over the fence and hung a big bag of oranges from it that he had just picked from his tree. Soon after his big smiling face came over too, and I thanked him.

I think I might make an orange cake and take it around there. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment