Pages

.

Party Plan Etiquette

Over the past couple of weeks I have attended a couple of party plan gatherings.

The first was a Tupperware party held by a lady in my street. She kindly invited me as a way of helping me to meet my new neighbours. I gladly went along and purchased two things, although I was astonished at how expensive Tupperware is these days.

The second party was a lingerie party. The company was delightful and the food delicious. (My contribution was a batch of my very wicked chocolate brownies.) However, while I liked the clothing that was for sale, I couldn't justify the expense. One very simple wrap-around top cost about $120, for example. While I felt that I should buy something, in the end I decided not to. Although no pressure was placed on anyone to buy, I felt like a really bad guest when I decided not to place an order.

I have been wondering about the etiquette of sales parties. Is a purchase the appropriate exchange for the hospitality shown? Or should we look at party plans the same as shopping at a store, where there is no obligation to buy?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment