Pages

.

Mantelpiece Decorating

Having seen the fabulously creative ways that other bloggers decorate their mantelpieces, I am almost ashamed to show mine. I don't so much decorate as display a few of my treasured possessions in a way that is meaningful for my family and me.

In the picture below you can see the fireplace in our formal living room. There are photos from my brother's wedding and mine. The three little girls on the right are my nieces and the baby in the oval frame is my Mum. My husband bought the vase on the left in China and many years ago his father bought the vase on the right in China too. So as you can see, my mantel brings my family together. One day we will buy a mirror or painting for the wall over this fireplace, but it's not a priority at the moment.

The fireplace below shares the same chimney as the one above and is in our dining room. The photo on the left is my husband as a little boy and the one on the right is my brother and me when we were about 3 or 4. I did the daffodils cross stitch and the glass vase in front was a gift from my husband when we were visiting my parents in Toowoon Bay, NSW several years ago. I bought the two little pink candle holders in a Melbourne op shop.

The fireplace below is in our main bedroom and is really very minimally decorated at this stage. However, the fireplace itself is so pretty that not much decorating is needed. I sewed the cross stitch sampler and the other items were either thrifted, bought inexpensively, or, in the case of the green candles, found out the front of a neighbour's house during a hard waste collection.





No comments:

Post a Comment