Pages

.

Shredded Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies



We have a cereal loving family. I buy cereal at Costco and I put them in clear bins in the cupboard. I have 6 bins.  All with different cereal.  My husband and boys all eat tons of cereal.  One of the favorites is Frosted Mini Wheats.  Personally I can't stand the stuff, I think it tastes like cardboard.  That's besides the point though.  

So we put these huge bags into my bins and when the cereal is done, I'm left with a huge clump of broken up shredded Mini Wheats in the bottom. Usually they just pour another bag on top which results in an even bigger clump of broken up cereal eventually.  They don't eat it. Now, why this isn't edible to my family is beyond me. It should taste the same.  But they never eat it. It eventually just gets thrown away. 



I wish I could say that I came up with this idea but I didn't. I've seen several recipes floating around for Shredded Wheat Cookies and it seemed brilliant. The cookies turned out fantastic!  They were super crispy! They eat a lot of shredded wheat so I know that I'll be making these again and again!




Shredded Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup finely processed frosted shredded wheat crumbs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
8 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Process shredded wheat crumbs in a food processor or blender.  In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until well blended.  Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.  In another bowl, mix flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Combine with butter mixture and stir to combine.  Add chocolate chips.  Drop by rounded tablespoon onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 - 12 minutes at 375.


More tasty desserts!
Peach Brown Butter Shortbread Bars
Fruit and Berry Crisp
Pecan Pie Bars
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cookies
Oatmeal Cinnamon Chip Cookies


No comments:

Post a Comment