Pages

.

Wishful Thinking

apple
nectarine

almond

lime

plum
In late spring my garden is full of babies.  There are baby limes and oranges, apples, nectarines, plums and almonds.

I find myself wishing it were later in the growing season.  I imagine all I would like to do with the produce I am growing: crumbles and cakes, jams and jellies, and most of all, luscious fruit eaten straight from the tree.  I check my trees daily for new growth and look forward to the abundance ahead.

In spring, I have to remind myself not to be too impatient, not to 'wish my life away'.  After all, between now and harvest there may be heatwaves and rainless months where fruit falls from the trees or burns so that it is inedible.  There will definitely be birds and bugs that find my fruit crops as appealing as I do.

Do you ever suffer from gardening impatience?  Are the crops you imagine bigger and better than the real thing?



No comments:

Post a Comment