Pages

.

Jalapeno Corn Fritters with Sweet Pepper Pineapple Salsa



 
 Small, fried, finger food.  Gluten free and delicious too? What's not to love? 
 
I had a blast visiting Mariel and Mary Anne's blog Feast on the Cheap. They have amazing recipes and fantastic pictures of their recipes.  I chose several to make but decided on the Jalapeno Corn Fritters to showcase this month. 
 
The recipe called for Old Bay seasoning.  I didn't have this but I have a whole cupboard full of spices so I set out to make my own. I looked online and there were several versions of Old Bay recipes.  I sorta mixed a couple and made my own. It seemed to turn out pretty good. 
 
 
 I wasn't sure what the texture the corn mixture was supposed to be.  It wasn't thick enough to make a patty but putting heaping tablespoon into the hot oil worked perfectly.
 
 
 
After my bacon grease accident last month, I quickly decided that my husband would help me make these. After this first batch, I handed him over the batter and he did a great job making them.
  
 
 
These turned out beautiful and were very quick to put together.  The pineapple salsa was such a good addition to the Corn Fritters.  The sweet and the freshness were a perfect match.  I really couldn't stop eating these and ate way too many.
 
 
 
I'm so glad that The Secret Recipe Club introduced me to Feast on the Cheap.  I know I will be back visiting often! 
 
 
 
 
Jalapeno Corn Fritters with Sweet Pepper Pineapple Relish Recipe
Adapted form Feast on the Cheap
 
Sweet Pepper Pineapple Salsa
1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
1 20 oz. can pineapple, diced
1 small red pepper, or 1/2 large, diced
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. honey
 
Combine everything and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
 
Corn Fritters
 
1 jalapeno, seeded
2 cans of corn or about 4 cups of frozen corn, divided
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning OR use spice recipe below
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup flour, I used gluten free
Salt and pepper to taste
Canola oil
 
In a food processor or blender, combine 2 cups of corn kernels and jalapeno, process until quite smooth, about a minute. 
 
In a large bowl, whisk together egg and milk until smooth and stir in cornmeal, flour, garlic, Old Bay (or seasoning recipe below), salt and pepper.  Mix in remaining whole corn kernels and pureed corn. 
 
Pour about 1/2 inch oil in a deep skillet and heat oil until very hot. Using a spoon, scoop corn batter by tablespoons into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides, it only takes about 2 minutes per side tops. Transfer to plate with paper towels on it and serve topped with Sweet Pepper Pineapple Salsa.
 
Old Bay Seasoning (copycat)
 
2 tsp. celery salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 pinch EACH of dried mustard, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice and ginger









No comments:

Post a Comment