Pages

.

Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole

 
I've been a lazy cook recently.  I've been making more of the "throw a bunch of stuff in a pan and call it dinner" kind of mood.  I haven't really been in mood to create new recipe and have been sticking with some old stand by recipes.  This is a great recipe that comes together quickly and is quite versatile. I've made it several times and it's never really the same every time.
 
I love putting a zucchini in this but found that my last zucchini was not good.  Very disappointing.  So I threw a red pepper in there instead. I liked it and will probably use both next time I make it.
 
You can get creative with the cheeses as well. Cheddar and Parmesan combo is probably my favorite but I always have Colby jack in the fridge so that gets used often too.
 
 

This is an especially easy meal if you have leftover rice in the refrigerator.  When I make rice, I always make a big batch and somehow it always seems to get used.  This time I only had about 2 cups of cooked rice rather than 3 cups. I thought about making more but you know, that lazy thing kicked in and I decided that 2 cups would do. 
 
What are some of your favorite lazy meals to make?


Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole

2 tbsp. butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
1/4 cup flour (I used gluten free)
2 cups milk
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
8 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (or whatever kind you have)
1/3 cup fresh Parmesan cheese, shredded
3 cups cooked rice, I used brown
3 cups cooked broccoli florets
1 small red pepper, chopped
1 small zucchini, cut in rounds and halved

Spray a 9 x 13 in. casserole pan.    In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat, add onion and saute for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for about a minute.  Whisk in flour and cook 3 - 4 minutes, whisking constantly.  Slowly stir in milk, mustard and season with salt and pepper, bring to a simmer for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add most of the cheddar cheese (saving about 1/3 cup for the top), add Parmesan cheese.  Stir until mostly melted, remove from heat. 

Stir in rice and broccoli florets, pour into casserole pan, sprinkle remaining 1/3 cup cheese over top.  Bake 20 - 30 minutes at 400 until bubbly and lightly golden on top. 


No comments:

Post a Comment