Pages

.

Essential Edibles Food Swap October 2010

Today I joined in the second Essential Edibles food swap.  

Organised by Sustainable Communities SA, the idea of the food swap is that people bring along home-grown produce, preserves, seeds and seedlings and swap them.  No money changes hands and nothing is measured; you simply take away what you need and benefit from the expertise of other local growers.

I contributed lavender, some sweet orange jam (recipe here) made from home-grown oranges, Italian parsley, rosemary and cos lettuces.


Although it is still fairly early in the growing season, an impressive range of produce was on display.  There were home-grown macadamias (I didn't know macadamias even grew this far south!), lettuces, kale, silverbeet, lemons, grapefruit, herbs, bay leaves, snow peas, and lots of vegetable and flower seedlings.  I came home filled with inspiration and happy with the things I had received, which included some slivers of Jerusalem artichoke which I have planted although I have never eaten them in my life!
The Essential Edibles food swap takes place on the first Sunday of each month from 8.30 am at the Joslin Reserve, 3rd Avenue, Joslin in Adelaide.

No comments:

Post a Comment