Pages

.

Vegie Patch October 2010

I am so excited to have a vegetable garden this year for the first time since we moved to Adelaide in 2008.  Although it's still fairly early in the growing season the vegie patch is shaping up well. 

The previous owners had a cubby house in this corner of the garden which they took with them, leaving a bare patch of earth that just yelled 'vegie garden' to me.

I have divided the area into four beds with bricks, partly so that I can rotate what I grow, and partly to provide somewhere to walk.  I don't want to tread all over my new little seedlings!

In the picture below you can see broad beans, lettuces, broccoli and silverbeet.  There are also a few tomato seedlings, pea plants and radishes, but they are too small to show up in the picture.
In the shot below, taken from the side, you can see potatoes, onions and carrots.  The bare, straw-covered bed at the back will have summer vegetables once they are big enough to plant out.  I am hoping to get some sort of trellis to cover that very ugly metal fence and will growing grapes or passionfruit over it.

This rose-covered arch (not yet flowering) is the gateway to my vegie patch.  In another month or two it will be very pretty.


Here are the rest of my summer vegetables, growing in a mini greenhouse (I took the cover off for this photo).  There are watermelons and rockmelons, tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchinis, eggplants, peppers, chillis, squash and sweet basil.  I'll plant them out when they get their second set of leaves.

I'm trying to grow everything from seed this year.  I don't know if it will all work but I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment