Pages

.

White Beans, Ham & Bacon Skillet





This month for the Secret Recipe Club I was assigned Our Eating Habits.  Jamie has an awesome blog with plenty of great food to choose from. I thoroughly enjoyed looking all she had shared. I settled on her White Beans with Ham.  

It really is the perfect dinner for me.  We always have ham in the house. It is the one meat that they boys will actually eat so it's a staple in the fridge.  I also always have beans.  I'm obsessed with beans and practically devote an entire cupboard just to beans.  No joke. 

This was a very quick but completely delicious meal. Jamie served hers with cornbread which sounded awesome but I wasn't about to turn the oven on in 95 degree heat!  So I ate mine with gluten free chips.  The only change I made was to add some minced bacon.  I keep a bag of real minced bacon in the freezer.  When cooking the ham, I decided to add a couple of tablespoons of the minced bacon, just to amp up the flavor a bit.  It was delicious and I know I'll be having it again!



White Beans, Ham & Bacon Skillet Recipe
Adapted from Our Eating Habits

1 tbsp butter1 tbsp. bacon grease (or just more butter)
1 1/2 cups chopped, cooked ham
2 tbsp. chopped bacon
1 cup onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves. minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (I didn't have this)
2 cans Great Northern Beans or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed


1. Melt butter and bacon grease in large skillet, add onions, ham, bacon and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes until onion is tender.

2. Stir in remaining ingredients plus 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring it once in a while. Taste and season as desired.










No comments:

Post a Comment