Pages

.

Orange and Apple Jam


I was looking for a way to use some of the oranges on our orange tree when I found a recipe for Orange and Apple Jam in a Country Women's Association cookbook.

I had never thought to cook oranges and apples together to make jam until I saw this recipe, but since I had a good supply of Granny Smith apples in the fridge, I thought it was worth a try.  The reason for the apples, I imagine, is to provide pectin to help the jam to set, as the oranges dominate in the finished product.

First published in1937, the cookbook assumes that you will know to peel, core and slice the apples before cooking them. I love the minimalism of very old cookbooks, although it's sometimes not very helpful!

Orange and Apple Jam

3 large oranges, 3 Granny Smith apples, 2.7kg (12 1/4 C) sugar

Cut the oranges and soak for 36 hours in 2.75 litres (11 cups) water.  Put in a saucepan with the apples and boil until tender.  Add the sugar and boil for about 30 minutes, or until it jellies.

No comments:

Post a Comment