Pages

.

Moist and Yummy Banana Bread

Whenever we have bananas that have ripened beyond the point where even our six year old will eat them, I make a loaf of banana bread or Gran's banana cake.

The recipe for banana bread comes from Gran's old copy of the American Ladies' Home Journal Cookbook (1960). I know she went on a cruise to America in the 1960s; I wonder if she bought the cookbook while she was over there?

This banana bread keeps beautifully for days in a sealed container -- if it lasts that long, and is a popular lunchbox treat here at our red house.

Anyhow, here's the recipe. I have added my own variations at the end.

Banana Bread


1/3 cup shortening
3/4 C light brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas (2-3 bananas)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts


Cream the shortening with the sugar. Add the mashed bananas and eggs. Sift the flour with the salt and baking soda and add to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk. Stir in the nuts. Bake in a greased loaf pan, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches, in a moderate oven, 350 degrees, for an hour. Turn out and cool on rack; wrap in aluminium foil. this bread slices better the second day. Yield: 1 loaf

My Tips
  • This recipe is much better if the bananas are very over-ripe
  • I usually omit the salt
  • I use butter instead of shortening.
  • I usually substitute self raising flour for the flour and soda
  • I don't usually include the nuts
  • Cooking time will be about 10 minutes less if you are using a modern fan-forced oven

For more kitchen tips visit Kitchen Tip Tuesday at www.tammysrecipes.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment