Pages

.

Shopping With A Calculator, Part Two

Shoppers at Large A&P Grocery Store by Alfred Eisenstaedt


When I entered the supermarket yesterday I expected to struggle, as usual, to keep within my $200 (equivalent to $135 US) grocery budget. Imagine my surprise when, with the help of my trusty pocket calculator, the total came to a mere $161.27 (about $105 US).


The calculator technique really works!


Instead of roaming up and down the aisles in order, crossing items off my shopping list and checking for specials, I shopped only for the most important items on my list, adding them up on the calculator. Only when I was sure that I could stay under my limit did I add any extras.


This method of shopping did take longer than usual, but it would be worth continuing with as it forces me to be a more disciplined shopper.


Thanks to a grocery receipt that itemised my purchases into categories, I can tell you how my $161.27 was divided.

  • General Groceries, including toiletries and cleaning products: $54.78
  • Dairy, including 15 litres milk, $31.70
  • Frozen: $1.96 (1 kg frozen peas on special)
  • Fresh meat incl. chicken: $27.07
  • Fruit and Vegetables: $31.86
  • Deli: $4.49
  • Bakery: $9.41 (3 loaves bread + 2 packets crumpets on sale)



The Verdict
: Grocery shopping with a calculator in hand can definitely save money, but it may take a little longer than usual.



No comments:

Post a Comment