Pages

.

Popovers





I have a memory of popovers from when I was really young. They obviously didn't make a regular appearance at meals because I remember them being special. Like for company or something. 

I hadn't had a popover since.  Until now.

I've seen recipes now and then around the internet and always think, 'I need to make those!"  But never do.

Until now.

For The Secret Recipe Club this month, I was assigned NY City Eats. Lacy has a whole bunch of awesome recipes.  I seriously spent about 2 hours debating what to make. I have many printed that will get made soon for sure!

I had to choose the popover recipe when I saw it though.  They looked so easy.  I'm not much of a baker so I had my doubts.  I thought for sure they wouldn't resemble the popovers that I remembered at all. Boy was I wrong!  These came out perfect!  Crunchy on the outside and soft and hollow on the inside.  I so should have gotten a picture of them from the inside. I was so proud of them!

We all loved the popovers but I specifically had my son Jacob in mind when I made them. He's all about bread. It seems like all he eats is bread.  As expected, he loved them and at most of them.  I've actually made this recipe twice.  I meant to try to make a gluten free version but didn't get a chance. I have no idea if it would even work but I want to give it a shot. I'll let you know if it works. :-)





Popovers
Recipe from NYCity Eats

1 cup milk
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten


Preheat the oven to 450.
Have all ingredients at room temp. Butter deep muffin tin or popover pan and set aside.
Beat milk, butter, flour & salt just until smooth. Add eggs 1 at a time without over beating. Pour batter in pan filling cups only 3/4 full, and place in oven immediately.
Bake at 450 for 15-17 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 without opening door. Bake about 20 minutes longer or until popovers are golden brown & you can remove them from the pan without the outside walls collapsing.









No comments:

Post a Comment