Pages

.

Eggplants and What to do With Them

This year has been my most successful season ever for growing eggplants; a combination, I think, of hot weather plus more summer rain than usual.I am growing two varieties: long purple and black beauty.

Eggplants are definitely one of those vegetables that taste much better when home-grown.  I think this is because home-grown eggplants can be picked smaller when they are less bitter and have fewer seeds.

By the way, if you look closely at the eggplant photo below you can see my reflection in it!

At present I have an eggplant glut, so we are eating them at almost every meal.  Apart from adding eggplant to curries, risottos and other dishes wherever possible, my three staple preparations are:

  • Marinated, grilled eggplant: I either fry or grill the eggplants then marinate them as I did zucchinis in this recipe;
  • Eggplant parmigiana (no recipe: just egg-and-crumbed, then fried, layered in fresh tomato sauce and baked with grated parmesan or other cheese on top)
  • baba ghanoush (I'll publish a recipe in the next few days) 
 I always salt the black beauty eggplants before I cook them to draw out any bitter juices, but I don't bother with the long, skinny ones.

    What I would like to do is bottle some eggplant chutney or preserves.  I'm still looking for a recipe, so if you have one you can recommend I'd be delighted if you would share it with me!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment