Pages

.

My Favourite Way to Eat Tomatoes: a Reader's Tale

After I wrote about my favourite way to eat tomatoes, a reader emailed me with a delightful story about her favourite way to eat them.  I asked her permission to share this story with you.  Thank you Laurie!



My favorite way to eat tomatoes is now a wonderful memory. When growing up in South Florida and the Keys, I would often be at my Gramma's house in the dog days of summertime. (She had the ugly but amazing lemon tree). No one had air-conditioning in those days, and she lived in a house with lovely cool wood floors and high ceilings (from which the quilting frame would hang when the women relatives would come for quilting weekends - but that's another story.)

Gramma would sit on the back porch and announce "Darlin', It's too hot to be a meat day today."

She'd ask us to go and pick some tomatoes for dinner - and we would simply have them sliced with a bit of salt - still warm from the heat of the day. Sitting on that back porch, eating those tomatoes, basking in her love and kindness - Life was Good!


No comments:

Post a Comment