Pages

.

Life in Adelaide, One Year On

John Lennon once wrote that "life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans".

A little over one year after moving to Adelaide life has changed in more ways than I could have dreamed 18 months ago, yet it also feels to be in hiatus.

There is much indeed for which to be thankful: the children are well settled into their schools; I am working outside the home for the first time in many years in a four-day-a-week job; we are attending a church that we like; and my husband's position has proved to be well-chosen. It would be selfish for me to resent the changes that life has wrought.

Why then do I sometimes feel that I am camping, that I am not living my real life, or the life I want to have?

There is still so much uncertainty. We have not bought a home yet. My job is still not permanent after 5 months. My books are still in boxes in the shed.

And some days I simply ache for my old life, the life that I loved so much. I miss my friends intensely. If only I could go back in time, how much would I value what I had!

In the dark of night I often walk through our old, dear, red house in my head. I can see every piece of furniture, I can feel every surface; the texture of the bricks; the bubbly rustiness of the stair rail outside the laundry, the smoothness of the polished banister in the hall. I can remember how the sunlight moved through each room throughout the day. I remember each little fruit tree and rose bush I planted so lovingly and wonder whether the new owners are taking care of them or have ripped them out.


The biggest mistake I made back then was thinking that the life I had built for myself could be permanent. I know better now.


Yet I think it is only human to desire to put down roots, to make plans and bring them to fruition.


How have you coped with major changes in your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment